John 11:27
She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe You are the Christ,
the Son of God, who is to come into the world."

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Math Games and other things on a Snowy Spring School Day

Today, I am not stressing about school.  It is a cold snowy day in Reno.  We will drink cocoa, hang out in our PJ's, and cuddle.  We will dedicate school to exploring the web, reading together, and practicing our new math game.  We will start the Progeny Press study guide for  Uncle Jed's Barbershop by Margaree King Mitchell.  All that involves today is exploring the web for information about sharecroppers and the Great Depression.  I don't know what we will read.  I'll leave that to the kids.  The snow will keep us home from the library, so we will read something on hand.  In fact, I may wait til tonight and let Daddy have that cuddle hour on the couch while reading The Hobbit by Tolkien.  As for the new math game, I am making that up.  I went into town on the bus Saturday and bought eight 10 sided dice, one 100 sided die, one 6 sided die that is colors not numbers, and a felt carrying bag.  I spent $20.  The 100 sided dice was not cheap but the rest of the dice were under $5. The 10 sided dice are in four different colors.  The different colors will represent place value.  The dice are numbered 0 - 9. 
  • red dice ----- ones place
  • blue dice ---- tens place
  • purple dice ---- hundreds place
  • white dice ---- thousands place
 Today, we will use the red and blue dice.  First the kids will gather notebook paper and pencils. Then, I will toss one red dice and one blue dice - red:2 blue:1 = 12.  Then, I throw the multicolored dice - black can represent addition.  Then, I throw the last two red and blue dice and get 95.  Then RACE 12 + 95 = ? .  First one with the correct answer wins.
I think the game will make quick response math facts more fun than the usual worksheet or recitation. I want a game board to travel around. I wonder if I could figure out a way to use our chess board without all the chess pieces.  I'll think about it.  Perhaps, you have an idea. I would love to read all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment