John 11:27
She said to Him, "Yes, Lord, I believe You are the Christ,
the Son of God, who is to come into the world."

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Let's go fly a kite.



     When I here this phrase my mind automatically sets it to music.The music reminds me of the image from Mary Poppins of  the family together at last.  The family despite a very hard previous day are skipping to the park to fly a kite. Mary Poppins says amidst her final scene "That's as it should be."  I firmly believe that great thoughts can be found in tiny places.  Today, this phrase is one of them. 
     Today, I hope to fly a kite at the park with my youngest children.  The success of the day will depend on many things.  Will the sun stay bright, warming the day and us?  Will the wind blow in that gentle way that carries the kite high without being to rough?  Will the trees on the edge of the park be easy to avoid?  Will our string get tangled?  Will the kids take turns nicely? Will? Will? Will? and What if?  There are so many variables, so many things outside my control.  I can not make the day perfect.  I am not in control.  Yet, I know who is in control and like Mary Poppins says "That's as it should be."
    My life is much like that kite that flies high and dips low.  I grip my string and pray but many times I can not avoid the trees.  One minute the wind will blow gently and I will dance on the breeze.  The next a gust will throw me up and then crash me into the ground.  I love to fly. I hate the crashes.  I do not control the winds of life.  The One in control says,  
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11
     Today, I will grieve for a future I believed existed.  But tomorrow is a different future.  I could not stop the storm that has blown in to this world.  But ultimately, I know without understanding "That's as it should be." I do not like it and I never will. But God's promise holds true despite pain, loss, anger, failure, fear, and every other emotion and happening in this sinful world.  God bless us with a peace while we grow past the crashes in our lives. We have not forgotten that with you, we can still fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment